My whole wheat blueberry breakfast muffins are the perfect healthy and wholesome on-the-go snack (or breakfast)! Share them at your next group outing or simply make them for your family to enjoy at home. This recipe makes a large batch (24 muffins) and freezes wonderfully so you can eat some today and save the rest for later!
I’m a huge fan of blueberry muffins (or any muffin in general) but let’s be honest most of the time these delicious pastry are just a glorified breakfast version of cake.
That’s why when I found a blueberry muffin recipe that was low in sugar, easy to make and turned out every single time I knew I must try to health-ify it which resulted in the recipe you’re reading today!
I’ve been on a whole wheat flour kick so replacing the bleached white flour in this recipe out for whole wheat seemed like a no brainer to me!
I like whole wheat flour because it is less processed, high in fiber, nutrient dense and not enriched with synthetic vitamins. It’s also lower on the glycemic index which makes it gentler on blood sugar than traditional bleached white wheat flour.
Another healthy swap I made was replacing the refined white sugar with coconut sugar– and I love the depth of flavor it adds!
Coconut sugar is harvested from the sap of coconut palms and retains trace minerals and phytonutrients. It’s also slightly lower on the glycemic index and less processed than refined white sugar.
Lastly, I switched out the vegetable oil for avocado oil and whole milk for almond milk.
The truth is vegetable oil really isn’t as good for you as doctors and nutritionists once thought (source). In my home we don’t even buy the stuff! Instead we use avocado oil for baking and roasting as it has a neutral flavor profile and high smoke point. I also like to use olive oil for homemade salad dressings or recipes with a low smoke point.
Get the full recipe at the bottom of this post!
- whole wheat flour- I use this brand.
- coconut sugar- adds a richness and brown-sugar-like depth to these muffins!
- baking powder- essential for leavening.
- pink hymilayan salt
- lemon zest- best from organic lemons.
- blueberries- fresh or frozen will work!
- unsweetened almond milk- feel free to replace with any milk of your choice.
- avocado oil- to give the muffins moisture
- vanilla extract
Tools You May Need
- stand mixer- I have a this kitchen aid stand mixer but a large bowl and a wooden spoon will work fine, too!
- muffin tins
- muffin scoop or large spoon
- microplane or cheese grater
Step by Step: How to Make Whole Wheat Blueberry Breakfast Muffins
- Preheat oven to 350° and grease two muffins pans with butter or avocado oil spray.
- To the bowl of a stand mixer add whole wheat flour, coconut sugar, baking powder, salt and mix on low speed using the paddle attachment.
3. Next zest the lemons. I used the smallest side of my cheese grater to do this!
4. To the dry ingredients add the lemon zest and blueberries. Mix on low speed just until incorporated.
5. In a separate bowl, using a fork, whisk the wet ingredients together: almond milk, avocado oil, vanilla and eggs.
6. Set the stand mixer to low speed and slowly pour in the wet ingredients. Blend until fully incorporated but don’t over mix!
7. Using a muffin scoop or large spoon, transfer batter into muffin cups until 3/4 full.
8. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes until golden brown.
9. Cool 3 minutes before removing from pan and serve warm with a pat of butter!
Substitutions for Whole Wheat Blueberry Breakfast Muffins
- If you are out of whole wheat flour or looking for a gluten-free alternative for this recipe, try making oat flour at home. It’s easy to do and works great as a substitute flour in this recipe.
- Try 3/4 cup of honey or maple syrup instead of coconut sugar.
- Use any berry of choice. I think blackberries would be a delicious swap!
- Whole milk will give this recipe a slightly sweeter, richer flavor.
- Don’t have avocado oil? Use regular salted butter instead, just remember to reduce the pink Himalayan salt by 1/2 teaspoon.
I hope you enjoy my whole wheat blueberry breakfast Muffin recipe as much as I do! And I hope that it become a new, easy and healthy go-to snack for your family!
Whole Wheat Blueberry Breakfast Muffins
- Stand Mixer Or a large bowl.
- Muffin Tin
- Muffin Scoop Or a large spoon.
- 4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 2 tablespoons baking powder almuminum free!
- 1.5 teaspoons pink Himalayan salt or 1 teaspoon table salt
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 2 cups blueberries fresh or frozen
- 2 cups unsweetened almond milk or any milk of your choice!
- 3/4 cups avocado oil or coconut oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- Preheat oven to 350° and grease muffin tins with avocado oil spray or butter.
- To the bowl of a stand mixer add whole wheat flour, coconut sugar, baking powder, salt, lemon zest and blueberries. Using the paddle attachment mix on low until combined.
- In a separate bowl, using a fork, whisk the wet ingredients together: almond milk, avocado oil, vanilla and eggs.
- Set the stand mixer to low speed and slowly pour in the wet ingredients. Blend until fully incorporated but don't over mix!
- Using a muffin scoop or large spoon, transfer batter into muffin cups until 3/4 full.
- Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool 3 minutes before removing from pan. Serve warm!