It’s officially SPRING! Time to open the windows, declutter your closet, and refresh your living room pillows!
I don’t know about you, but my living room looks a little tired after the long winter season. My Christmas decorations have come and gone and what remains come springtime seems a bit scarce and in need of rejuvenation.
Sometimes it can be hard to put my finger on what exactly needs to be changed or refreshed, and sometimes I get so frustrated I want to sell everything and start over completely (new rug, sofa and chairs please)!
But what I’ve discovered is that more often than not the pillows sitting on my sofa, well loved and used, are the culprit for the dissatisfactory lackluster state of my living room– and once the pillow covers have been switched out for new ones, viola! My living room seems happy and alive again and I am saved from the headache of redesigning it!
Switching out the pillow covers on your sofa pillows is one of the easiest and least expensive decoration hacks I’ve ever come across– and the difference it makes is downright dramatic.
Tips for Choosing the Best Pillow Covers
- Mix and match fabric textures. Choosing pillow covers with all the same fabric will leave your sofa feeling one note. Instead, try a soft velvety fabric and pair it with a natural linen or throw in an embroidered (or tasseled) accent.
- Size DOWN your pillow covers. You heard me right! For example, purchase a 18×18″ pillow cover for a 20×20″ pillow. This will make your pillows look more fluffy and custom not to mention ensure a perfect fit and resolve any sagging corners.
- Vary your pillow sizes. This is the what the designers do to make their living room sofas look so amazing! Start with two “anchor” pillows that are 24×24″, then add in a 20×20″ and 1-2 18×18″. The number of pillows will depend on the size of your sofa/sectional and your personal preference.
- Remember, pillows look best when in odd numbers!
- When choosing your pillow covers don’t “match” them, instead ask yourself if they “go” together. There is a difference!
- More pillows do look better! So how may is too many? Just make sure you and your company have enough room to sit comfortably.
So glad you found it helpful!